It has been a tradition that every IT engineer is being a java developer. Let’s break this tradition and learn something absolutely new. Everyday, technology is changing expeditiously. Data Science is a trending technology in IT. The dimension of a career is changing with respect to technology.
A career in Data science is the right choice for freshers because Data science is ruling the Internet and it is on the top list of trending technologies. Data Science is recent in all the technologies. This blog “Career in Data Science” gives new dimensions to your career and it will help you to think outside of the box. A career in Data Science is a new opportunity for you all. Every fresher seems in a dilemma which domain should choose for their lucrative future. Mainly, Fresher wants to open better opportunities in the IT industry to start their career.
In this blog, I am going to give you brief information about what is a data science and data scientist – their role, challenges, skills everything briefly about a career as a data scientist. Let’s see then.
What is Data Science?
Data science is an interdisciplinary field that uses scientific methods, processes, algorithms, and systems to extract knowledge and insights from data in various forms, structured and unstructured, similar to data mining.
Data Scientist is the person who is mainly responsible for managing and organizing the data which is useful for business purposes.
Data architect, data mining engineer, data scientist, business analyst – these designations are under data science. We will be going to discuss data scientist.
Role of Data Scientist
“A data scientist is someone who is better at statistics than any software engineer and better at software engineering than any statistician”.
– Josh hWills
Data scientists take a huge mass of structured and unstructured data and apply their analytics, statistics, and programming skills to clean, organize and manage the data.
They use all their analytical abilities to find out solutions to all the issues. Data scientists are big data wranglers. Data scientists are the artist of data. They play with the cluster of data for cleaning and managing them and after organizing it, they transfer them into a good data format. Data scientists analyze, often called big data, which is gathered from various sources.
Mainly in Data science, there are two types of data: structured data and unstructured data.
Structured data – It is related to relational databases (RDBMS). Data like text strings having variable lengths like names are in records. Data like phone numbers or ZIP codes. Data may be human or machine-generated as long as the data is created within an RDBMS structure. Structured data is organized; it’s easy for engineers to work on it.
Unstructured Data – Unstructured data rapidly growing form of big data.
Unstructured data includes Text files, Emails, Social media posts, websites, Media like audio, video, etc. This data is complex so it is difficult to sort.
Data scientists have to manage this huge, both structured and unstructured, data and transfer them into useful data. It will give the best solutions to business issues. Thus, in this way, they help to generate more revenue for the company.
Skills Required for Data Scientist
For being a data scientist, you must be strong in technical skills first we see technical skills. You must be strong in Analytical and statistical problem-solving skills like you should be good in
- Math Statistics
- Data mining
- Data cleaning
- Machine learning tools and techniques
- Data visualization
- Python (most common), C/C++ Java, Perl
- Big data platforms like Hadoop, Hive & Pig
- Unstructured data techniques
- SQL databases and database querying languages
- Software engineering skills
- Cloud tools like Amazon S3
- Problem-Solving: You have to face high-level challenges in the future so for that, you have to be good in problem-solving skills with the use of proper time and the right human resources.
- Communication: You have to deal with both technical and non-technical people. At that time, your communication should be in a comfortable language that they can understand.
- Skills: You must be enthusiastic about finding a creative and easy way to solve different kinds of problems.
- Knowledge: Understanding and knowledge of your own field are very essential. Because on the basis of your knowledge you are going to take the decision and it should be right. Then only, you can give a more effective solution to your business.
Challenges Faced By Data Scientists
- Finding Issues – A Data Scientist has to handle a huge amount of data. So, it’s really difficult to identify the accurate issue. First, they gather all the huge data from various sources then they examine it properly. Easily they do not get the issue. They apply their proper algorithm and effective techniques for identifying the issue. After analysis, they find some glitches in it. Then they start working on it.
- Data Cleaning –According to the research, cleaning the data improves the company’s revenue. Because of the huge data, they have to clean it in a range of terabytes of data before the analysis so you can imagine how much it gets challenging for them to clean that huge range of data.
- Data Security – In today’s techno Savoy world, data security is a big issue. Since data is extracted through a lot of interconnection like the internet, different social media, and other sources are connected because of this connection, the chances of hacking increase. The question arises about data security due to some confidential data. Data scientists are facing obstacles in data extraction, and building algorithms.
- Lack of domain expertise- Data scientists must be good at technical and business skills. They must have deep domain knowledge and expertise. One of the biggest challenges for them is to apply domain knowledge using different algorithms to business solutions. Data scientists are connecting threads between IT and management. Domain expertise is required for their better performance.
Opportunities for Data Scientists
Data Science career opportunities will be at peak level. Huge demand for data scientists will be in start-ups and big companies. It’s really essential for the company to have a professional person who has deep domain knowledge. Data Science career opportunities are expected to continue for a long time to come. As data impregnates our life and companies try to find skilled data generated.
Search on job portals like indeed it clearly shows you that top companies like Facebook, Twitter, Apple, LinkedIn, IBM and PayPal hiring Data Scientists. It’s a big career opportunity for the fresher to work with such big companies at the beginning of their career.
So grab the Data Science career opportunities that come your way.